Senior Project Coordinator for SalamaTech Syria
The SecDev Foundation is looking for a committed and innovative Senior Project Coordinator for our SalamaTech Syria initiative.
Are you the right candidate?
You are passionate about Syria and knowledgeable of the role of online communication in the war. You are aware of the many risks faced by Syrian digital activists. You believe in the potential of technology to empower voices that have been silenced by the war. You are eager to work with and support our seasoned and committed team that have built SalamaTech from its beginnings. You will stay awake at night thinking of new ways to better help our project beneficiaries — Syrian non-violent activists, media activists, human rights workers, non-governmental and local governance actors and humanitarian workers — to communicate safely online and make their voices heard.
You are a consummate team player; your colleagues, partners, former bosses and employees will all proclaim your superlative people skills. You will know how to coordinate and inspire our seasoned, internationally-based team. You know how to manage data, tracking and reporting requirements.
You are meticulous. Accurate and detailed reporting excites you. You enjoy analyzing lessons learned and thinking through course correctives. You have a demonstrated track record of excellence in project management, monitoring and evaluation and reporting. You are also pretty impressive with financial reporting and budgets.
Your former bosses will tell us that you are an eager learner. If you are not already deeply technologically savvy, you are ready to apply yourself and quickly become so.
You have native language fluency in either English or Arabic and are an excellent writer/editor in that language. If Arabic is your strong suit, you also have strong proficiency in English. If English is your strong suit, you are proficient in Arabic.
Check out the project’s websites and Facebook pages. Have a look through the more detailed listing of taskings below. Then compose a cover letter that clearly articulates why you are the right candidate. Submission instructions appear at the bottom of this notice.
The Senior Project Coordinator will:
- Coordinate and extend the impact of the SalamaTech Syria project and its many activities and services, by working with seasoned project staff, advisors and partners to ensure a coherent vision and direction, while providing oversight and documented accountability on all data-gathering, communication platforms and functions, field activities and ensuring coherent and meticulous, regular reporting;
- Schedule, coordinate and oversee the delivery of digital safety institutional audits by a multinational team to organizations in the region (including extended followup and reporting), some of which may be coordinated closely with other team members;
- Devise innovative means to ensure consistent quality control over in-region digital safety institutional audits;
- Be located in, or regularly travel to, the region (non-conflict zones) to meet with partners and project affiliates, exercise oversight and deliver digital safety training/audits as required (Mandatory);
- Ensure smooth and optimal functioning of our seasoned and dedicated project team;
- Establish and manage new strategic partnerships with international partners operating in Syria;
- Manage development of the project’s training capacities and ensure top-level coordination with other Foundation projects on training design, curriculum development, and implementation; also ensure that Foundation training efforts coordinate with and/or leverage the resources of other actors working in similar areas;
- Manage the project’s analytical research outputs, including writing/commissioning Flash Notes — short analytical briefs designed to shed light on timely and critical issues relevant to the project;
- Working with the team, develop new initiatives and responses to needs occurring in Syria, in real time, and prepare them for execution;
- Develop innovative methods for securing beneficiary feedback and assessments of project efforts and effects;
- Develop plans for project sustainability, beyond the current funding envelope;
- Working with the Program Administrator and project staff, undertake regular technical reporting, including the monitoring and evaluation of project goals;
- Working with the Program Administrator and Financial Controller/Compliance Officer, maintain oversight on project budget, cash flow, and financial reporting;
- Maintain regular reporting to the Executive Director.
Key skills/abilities required:
- Strong and proven project management experience, including of activities, project teams, compliance-based technical reporting and financial management, including grant-based budgeting and financial tracking;
- Outstanding organizational skills, with the ability to work with many priorities and deadlines and ensure that all project and team deliverables are kept on track and on time;
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Ability to travel internationally and to the region (or to Canada if you are located in the region) on a regular basis and as required;
- Uncanny ability to solve problems and work through challenges;
- Above average computer know-how;
- Proven experience, or interest in, using cyberspace for research, including social media exploitation;
- Arabic language skills– full spoken working ability required;
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English (demonstrated in a writing sample), with preference to individuals with proven report writing and editorial skills (formal and popular reporting);
- Refined understanding of the Syrian context;
- Excellent research skills, driven by diligence and curiosity.
Preference given to candidates with:
- Advanced Arabic language skills;
- Proven experience working with Syrian civil society networks and actors on the ground;
- Advanced digital safety and security knowledge and expertise;
- Proven interest in cyber security, social media and cyber issues as they pertain to zones of conflict;
- Solid understanding of good monitoring and evaluation indicators and practices;
- Proven experience with management and compliance with grant-based projects/funding;
- Other field experience, or significant experience with organizations involved with human rights or media activists, humanitarian or local governance actors in zones of conflict;
- Proven ability to produce clear, concise analytical assessments on a variety of topics, to short deadlines.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience. The SecDev Foundation offers generous health and other benefits.
Position type: 6-month employment contract – full time, with possibility for extension when new funding is secured. Highly qualified individuals interested in part-time consultancy work on particular parts of this brief are also welcome to apply.
How to apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 August 2016 to be considered. Please quote “Senior Project Coordinator – SalamaTech Syria” in your email subject line.
Important: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. The SecDev Foundation sincerely thanks you for your interest in this position, and the time you spent applying. Only those applicants who are short-listed for an interview will be contacted. Interviews may start prior to the application close date.